Intuitive Eating is Power EatingHunger is a physical reality. Binging is an emotional trap. Fighting emotional traps is intuitive. It's liberating. When we make an intuitive choice, it feels 'right' and that is reassuring. Powerful intuitive tools free us from emotional eating.
Emotional eating or binging happens when we feel bad or sorry for ourselves. Even though the media would have us think differently, food is not a band-aid. It cannot mend a broken heart or make a mean person nice. Reality is that Life can be painful, unfair and hard. Responding to pain by eating more changes nothing; instead, we feel worse.
Anyone who has eaten food for emotional support knows the result is disappointment. Emotional eating is a trap. The only way out is to fight it.
When emotions guide food choices, we're going to gain weight. Intuition bypasses emotions. That's why we can feel deeply emotional around food and 'know' we're wrong to eat it. Using intuitive tools like determination, courage and dignity is surprisingly reassuring. It's power eating.
Here are 3 questions to ask yourself to know if a choice is 'right'.
- Does eating this leave me feeling physically comfortable, satisfied and healthy?
- If the answer is yes, then focus on comfort, satisfaction and health while you eat.
- You will feel when you're had enough. This is feeling your mind working with your body.
- Intuition balances what we want with what we know and what we feel. Power eating is listening to our intuition.
- Why am I eating this?
- Being honest with yourself is the beginning of trusting your intuition.
- The fact is, intuition is always protective. Trust it.
- Feel dignity in your heart and listen to that feeling.
- If you're eating to satisfy emotions, stop. Decide to take control by being courageous.
- You are stronger than anger or disappointment. You are stronger than sadness.
- It's powerful to take control of self-defeating emotions, but it's not hard. Things that are wrong, crumble easily.
- Give yourself a smile of determination. Go for a short walk to cool off. Re-set your perspective. The only reason to eat is because you're hungry.
- What do I really want?
- You want to fight it. No one wants to be a slave to emotions. Eating, weight maintenance, diet, work, family, responsibilities - all of these weigh on us 24/7. We need help to be strong. We don't have a lot of time to cook. Write down what you really want and put the piece of paper where you can look at it any time.
- Adopt an attitude of determination and stick with it. Get what you want. Comfort, satisfaction and health create quality of life. Eat less, chew more. Attitude is powerful.
- FitsMe is a Web app that helps you find meals and create plans that fit your diet. Tell the site your food restrictions, likes, and dislikes and it serves up recipes to satiate even your pickiest preferences. It can save time and help you plan.